More Processing!

Over the week I’ve been busy practicing with processing, making some new experimental sketches to come to grips with how the if statements and for loops work.

One of my first ones was pretty similar to what i’ve made before, it was basically a spinning triangle which changed hue; nothing too interesting. I made the triangle using beginShape() as it allows you to plot the location of each vertex of the shape and lets you have as many vertexes as you want. Putting the frame rate up to 60 make it better for a drawing tool as the shape was drawn twice as many times a second as the default.

Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 14.50.20

I play around with opacity and changing size for the shape to make it a bit more interesting, clearly it looks a bit more fun than the above image which is cool.Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 13.25.10

With this tool i found that if I just held it in one place it would make some things which looked like flowers, but due to the way the size changed and the hue changed it limited the colour ranges of the flowers when making them, meaning I was only able to get some greeny/blue ones and some pink/yellow ones.Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 13.24.22

This one is my first foray into using bezier curves. With these curves you plot a start point and an end point, as well as two other ‘control’ points with change the shape of the curve. As with before I started simply by making it rotate and change colour to see what patterns I could create. The bezier curve is a really good way to make more interesting shapes and I went on to experiment with it further.Screen Shot  2014-10-11 at 12.50.22

I decided I wanted to set myself a design challenge. Starting relatively simply I went for making a flower. For this flower i split it into 3 main classes, the stigmas, the petals and the leafs. Each class is the method for drawing one stigma, one petal and one leaf. In order to make the flower I had for loops running on click with various amounts in the loop. Having 3 different loops that ran meant I could have different numbers of each thing, e.g. 5 stigmas, 5 petals and 3 leaves. The loops randomly rotate each element each time its ran meaning the flowers are sort of randomly generated.Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 14.38.54

due to this random rotation it also meant that sometimes the flowers didn’t really come out as intended and it sometimes took multiple attempts to get a flower that looked someone normal.
Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 14.40.34

Because of the randomness making horrible looking flowers, i looked into a better way of working out the rotation of the shapes to get a more evenly spaced flower. I came up with a method that creates an evenly spaced flower but now I think each time its make it looks too similar to the last. Here is where I need to develop this idea and add an element of randomness back in, but limit it to keep the petals and leafs more or less spaced evenly. Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 15.07.20

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: