As I’m doing my testing tomorrow in the foyer, I took it upon myself to do my final touches to my sketch to make sure its as good as possible before I test it. The code at the moment doesn’t need any changes so I decided to perfect my the mask image to make sure it cuts the face out as good as possible.
Before my final touches I was on mask 9, this slightly changed soon after to mask 10 which i made a bit longer to try and not cut off the chin as much (this was changed a long time ago). I came back to it today and started afresh with the mask shape. Using an image taken from the face tracking, I drew around the face to get the shape and it’s more oval than before, as it should be as faces aren’t rectangular. After testing it with mask 9 it was a bit too wide at the top and was showing some of the background so I trimmed it even further and ended with mask 12.
Here are some screenshots using the (currently) final mask shape. The first shows how it works at a distance which is pretty good. While not perfect, the masking does do a pretty good job for cutting out faces, especially as they’re not always the same shape and size.
When I do some testing I expect to need to make some alterations to my project as I’m sure there will be some slight variations when in the actual space which will mean the mask might not work as expected for example. I might need to change the shape of the mask when testing in the space. A lot of my testing has been done while sitting directly in front of the camera so it always captures full frontal faces. In the space the position of the camera and the angle of people could vary hugely and mean that the mask and swapping doesn’t work as well as it does at the moment. Only time will tell…